Italy’s Supreme Court Clears Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito of Murder

Amanda Knox and her former Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito can now walk free after Italy’s supreme court ruled that the two were innocent in the murder of her British roommate.

Italy’s highest court threw out their convictions once and for all on Friday, ending the 7 and half years of legal battle waged by Knox.

Knox, 27, waged the legal battle to clear her name in the gruesome 2007 murder and sexual assault of British student Meredith Kercher.

Kercher, 21, was found dead Nov. 2, 2007, in the apartment that she shared with Knox and two Italian lawyers-in-training.

She was half-nude beneath a duvet soaked in blood with her throat slashed. Investigators determined she had been sexually assaulted.

“It couldn’t be better than this,” said Knox’s lawyer Carlo Dalla Vedova.

The decision to clear Knox and Sollecito came after a 10-hour deliberation by the supreme Court of Cassation panel.

The panel declared that the two did not commit the crime, freeing Knox from the possible 28.5 years in an Italian prison and 25 yeras for Sollecito.

“The knowledge of my innocence has given me strength in the darkest times of this ordeal,” Knox said in a statement issued from her home in Seattle.

[For the latest Financial and Business news in the Philippines, read FinancialNews.ph]

LEAVE A REPLY