Sino Biopharmaceutical Limited (“Sino Biopharmaceutical” or the “Company”, together with its subsidiaries, the “Group”) (HKEX:1177), a leading and innovation-driven pharmaceutical conglomerate in the PRC, has announced its unaudited third quarterly results for the nine months ended 30 September 2019 (“the review period”).
– The Group’s major product Anlotinib obtained approval for a new indication for the treatment of small cell lung cancer.
– Important overseas registration made: the United States Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) approved abbreviated new drug application (“ANDA”) for Ticagrelor Tablet.
– Production approval secured for 8 drugs with strong growth potential: the first line or second line prostate cancer drug Abiraterone Acetate Tablet, 3 specifications for new indications of Anlotinib Hydrochloride Capsules, Rivaroxaban Tablets, Tofacitinib Citrate Tablets (a new oral Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitor for rheumatoid arthritis treatment), Azacitidine for Injection and Moxifloxacin Hydrochloride Injection.
– Sales of new products accounted for approximately 20.6% of the Group’s total revenue.
– Subsidiary companies CT Tianqing ranked 16th and Beijing Tide ranked 41st among the “2018 Top 100 Pharmaceutical Companies in China” announced at the “2019 (36th) National Pharmaceutical Industry Annual Information Conference”.
– CT Tianqing and Akeso Biopharma signed a joint venture contract to set up Chia Tai Tianqing Akeso (Shanghai) Biomedical Technology Company Limited in Shanghai. The two parties will cooperate on pursuing development of the tumor immunotherapy PD-1 antibody drug (AK105 Project), which has apparent differentiated advantages.
– CT Tianqing ranked 26th among the “Top 500 Chinese Enterprises with the Most Patents” announced at the “2019 China Marketing International Conference and China Creation Forum”.
– Sino Biopharm ranked 1st among the “Top 20 Competitive Chinese Listed Pharmaceutical Companies in 2019” and also ranked 2nd of First Tier of “Top 100 Chinese Innovative Pharmaceutical Enterprises”, awarded jointly by China Pharmaceutical Enterprises Association and China Medicinal Biotech Association.
For the nine months ended 30 September 2019, the Group recorded revenue of approximately RMB19,321 million, representing an increase of approximately 22.8% over the same period last year. During the period, profit attributable to the owners of the parent was approximately RMB2,256 million, approximately 2.5% higher than that of the same period last year. Excluding the impact of the amortization expenses of new identifiable intangible assets arising from the acquisition of 24% interests in Beijing Tide, as well as the unrealized fair value losses on equity investments and financials assets, underlying profit attributable to owners of the parent amounted to approximately RMB2,600 million, surging by approximately 15.7% as compared with the same period last year. Based on underlying profit attributable to the owners of the parent, the earnings per share were approximately RMB20.65 cents, 14.0% higher than that of the same period last year. The Group has maintained a strong financial position with cash and bank balances reaching approximately RMB6,136 million at the period end.
The Board of Directors declared a quarterly dividend of HK2 cents per share. Together with the first quarterly dividend of HK2 cents per share and the second quarterly dividend of HK2 cents paid, the total dividend of the three quarters amounted to HK6 cents per share.
During the review period, the Group’s self-developed heavyweight medicine Anlotinib managed greater academic influence thus maintained high growth. The strong academic influence also translated into a strong boost of the results of other oncology products including Shoufu, Yinishu, Saiweijian and Qianping. The chronic disease management model combined with market penetration strategy saw drugs which have passed Consistency Evaluation such as Yilunping and Tuotuo boost the performance of other cardio-cerebral drugs such as Kaina and Xijia. Digestive system medicines such as Aisuping, Deyou and Getai, respiratory system medicines such as Tianqingsule and Zhongchang, hepatitis medicine Ganping, anti-infectious medicines Tianjie and Tianli, orthopedic medicine Yigu, and diabetic medicine Taibai all performed satisfactorily. With a portfolio of growth products more diverse and balanced in terms of revenue contribution, risk resistance of the Group has been strengthened.
On the R&D front, the Group boasted fruitful results. During the third quarter, the Group obtained 8 production approvals and had 6 products passed Consistency Evaluation, including Abiraterone Acetate Tablet (deemed), Metformin Hydrochloride Extended-Release Tablets (deemed), Rivaroxaban Tablets (deemed), Imatinib Mesylate Capsules, Tofacitinib Citrate Tablets (deemed) and Azacitidine for Injection (deemed). It also obtained 5 clinical trial approvals, and submitted 8 Consistency Evaluation applications and 5 clinical trial applications for new Category I medicines, all accepted for review. In addition, the Group was granted 27 invention patents and filed 91 applications for invention patents.
During the review period, the sales performance of the Group’s major medicine categories are outlined below:
– The sales of hepatitis medicines amounted to approximately RMB4,966 million, representing approximately 25.7% of the Group’s revenue.
Tianqingganping enteric capsules sales amounted to approximately RMB421 million, an increase of approximately 27.7% against the same period last year.
Tianqingganmei injections recorded sales of approximately RMB1,480 million, an increase of approximately 10.2% against the same period last year.
Runzhong dispersible tablet sales amounted to approximately RMB2,335 million.
Sales of Ganze capsules amounted to approximately RMB115 million, an increase of approximately 5.3% against the same period last year.
– The sales of oncology medicines amounted to approximately RMB4,202 million, representing approximately 21.8% of the Group’s revenue.
Sales of Saiweijian injections amounted to approximately RMB543 million during the review period, an increase of approximately 39.9% as compared with the same period last year.
Sales of Tianqingyitai injections amounted to approximately RMB170 million, an increase of approximately 4.3% as compared with the same period last year.
Sales of Qingweike injections amounted to approximately RMB168 million.
Sales of Yinishu tablets amounted to approximately RMB182 million, a significant increase of approximately 47.6% as compared with the same period last year.
Sales of Shoufu tablets amounted to approximately RMB173 million, an increase of 29.8% as compared with the same period last year.
Sales of Genike capsules amounted to approximately RMB160 million.
Sales of new product Anxian capsules amounted to approximately RMB137 million.
Sales of another new product Qianping injections amounted to approximately RMB128 million, a sharp increase of 211.6% as compared with the same period last year.
– The sales of cardio-cerebral medicines amounted to approximately RMB2,495 million, representing approximately 12.9% of the Group’s revenue.
Tianqingning injections recorded sales of approximately RMB113 million.
Sales of Yilunping tablets amounted to approximately RMB734 million, a year-on-year increase of approximately 20.8%.
Sales of Tuotuo calcium tablets amounted to approximately RMB613 million, a year-on-year increase of approximately 23.6%.
Sales of Kaishi injections amounted to approximately RMB504 million.
Sales of Kaina tablets amounted to approximately RMB372 million, an increase of approximately 22.7% as compared with the same period last year.
– The sales of analgesic medicines amounted to approximately RMB1,653 million, representing approximately 8.6% of the Group’s revenue.
Sales of Kaifen injections amounted to approximately RMB919 million.
Sales of Debaian Cataplasm amounted to approximately RMB717 million, approximately 41.5% higher than that of the same period last year.
– The sales of orthopedic medicines amounted to approximately RMB1,406 million, representing approximately 7.3% of the Group’s revenue.
Sales of Gaisanchun capsules amounted to approximately RMB820 million, rising by approximately 5.2% as compared with the same period last year.
Sales of Jiuli tablets amounted to approximately RMB290 million, an increase of approximately 31.3% against the same period last year.
Sales of Yigu injections amounted to approximately RMB247 million, a remarkable increase of approximately 77.3% against the same period last year.
Digestive system medicines
– The sales of digestive system medicines amounted to approximately RMB1,194 million, representing approximately 6.2% of the Group’s revenue.
Sales of Getai tablets amounted to approximately RMB227 million, an increase of approximately 21.3% as compared with the same period last year.
Sales of Aisuping injection amounted to approximately RMB776 million, a significant increase of approximately 35.1% as compared with the same period last year.
Sales of Deyou granule amounted to approximately RMB134 million, a remarkable increase of approximately 89.3% as compared with the same period last year.
Respiratory system medicines
– The sales of respiratory medicines amounted to approximately RMB843 million, representing approximately 4.4% of the Group’s revenue.
Sales of Tianqingsule inhalation powder amounted to approximately RMB502 million, an increase of approximately 30.7% as compared with the same period last year.
Sales of Chia Tai Suke tablets amounted to approximately RMB181 million, an increase of approximately 17.6% as compared with the same period last year.
Sales of Zhongchang tablets amounted to approximately RMB121 million, a significant increase of approximately 102.3% as compared with the same period last year.
– The sales of anti-infectious medicines amounted to approximately RMB838 million, representing approximately 4.3% of the Group’s revenue.
Sales of Tiance injections amounted to approximately RMB476 million, an increase of approximately 2.2% against the same period last year.
Sales of Tianjie injections amounted to approximately RMB258 million, an increase of approximately 42.6% against the same period last year.
Sales of Tianli (Linezolid and Glucose) injections amounted to approximately RMB77.88 million, a significant increase of approximately 93.2% against the same period last year.
Parenteral nutritious medicines
– The sales of parenteral medicines amounted to approximately RMB538 million, representing approximately 2.8% of the Group’s revenue.
Sales of Xinhaineng injections amounted to approximately RMB401 million, an increase of approximately 6.2% against the same period last year.
Sales of Fenghaineng fructose injections amounted to approximately RMB127 million.
– The sales of diabetic medicines amounted to approximately RMB122 million, representing approximately 0.6% of the Group’s revenue.
Sales of Taibai sustained release tablets amounted to approximately RMB110 million, an increase of approximately 26.8% as compared with the same period last year.
The Group has continued to focus its R&D efforts on new hepatitis, oncology, respiratory system, analgesic and cardio-cerebral medicines. During the third quarter, the Group was granted 5 clinical trial approvals, 8 production approvals, and 6 approvals for Consistency Evaluation, and made 5 clinical trial applications, 8 applications for Consistency Evaluation and 4 production applications. Cumulatively, a total of 471 pharmaceutical products had obtained clinical trial approval, or were under clinical trial or applying for production approval. Out of these, 32 were for hepatitis medicines, 199 for oncology and oncology auxiliary medicines, 27 for respiratory system medicines, 26 for endocrine, 47 for cardiocerebral medicines and 140 for other medicines.
Over the years, the Group has been placing high importance on R&D and innovation, as well as through collaboration and imitation, to raise both R&D standards and efficiency. In light of the fact that R&D continues to be the lifeblood of the Group’s development, the Group continues to devote into more resources. For the nine months ended 30 September, 2019, the R&D expenditure of approximately RMB2,054 million, which accounted for approximately 10.6% of the Group’s revenue, was charged to the statement of profit or loss.
The Group also emphasizes on the protection of intellectual property rights. It encourages its enterprises to apply for patent applications as a means to enhance the Group’s core competitiveness. During the third quarter, the Group has received 35 authorized patent notices (27 invention patents and 8 apparel design patents) and filed 112 new patent applications (91 invention patents, 5 utility model patents and 16 apparel design patents). Cumulatively, the Group has obtained 743 invention patent approvals, 23 utility model patents and 90 apparel design patents.
Looking to the full year, the external environment is still full of uncertainties, however, for the Chinese economy, positive factors supporting its stable growth have increased. The “4+7” cities centralized drug procurement program and the expansion of the trial cities to cover the entire country will affect the revenue and profit of covered drugs, and the category structure and revenue of drugs in the country’s pharmaceutical market will thus change gradually. As such, enterprises, the likes of Sino Biopharmaceutical, which offer high-value innovative products and have raw materials and cost advantages will be able to consolidate their market position.
About Sino Biopharmaceutical Limited (HKEX:1177)
Sino Biopharmaceutical Limited is a leading innovation-driven pharmaceutical conglomerate in the PRC. Its business encompasses a fully-integrated chain which spans from R&D to the manufacture and sales of pharmaceutical products. The Group’s products have gained a competitive foothold across various therapeutic categories with promising potential, covering a vast array of biopharmaceutical and chemical medicines for treating tumors, liver diseases, respiratory system diseases, analgesia, cardio-cerebral diseases and orthopedic diseases.
Sino Biopharmaceutical is a constituent stock of the following indices: MSCI Global Standard Indices – MSCI China Index, Hang Seng Index, Hang Seng Index – Commerce & Industry, Hang Seng Composite Index, Hang Seng Composite Industry Index – Consumer Goods, Hang Seng Composite LargeCap Index, Hang Seng Composite LargeCap & MidCap Index, Hang Seng China (Hong Kong-listed) 100 Index and Hang Seng Stock Connect Hong Kong Index. Sino Biopharmaceutical was ranked as one of “Asia’s Fab 50 Companies” by Forbes Asia for three consecutive years in 2016, 2017 and 2018.