MANILA – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered a total ban of the use and importation of vapes as he ordered the arrest of anyone who will be seen smoking e-cigarettes in public places.
In a press conference Tuesday night, Duterte said he will order a total ban on the use and importation of vapes, which he considers as toxic, and vaping materials.
The president made the pronouncement as the Philippines reported its first case of a vaping-linked illness last Friday.
A 16-year-old girl in the central Philippines who had been using e-cigarettes for six months was hospitalised last month for severe shortness of breath and met the criteria for vaping-related lung injury, the health department said.
The girl was treated and discharged.
Last week, Health Undersecretary Enrique Domingo said all e-cigarette users should seek immediate medical help and ask for ways to quit the harmful products. – BusinessNewsAsia.com