The two earthquakes that rattled Mindanao last week resulted in the death of 21 people and injury of 432 others, according to the latest situation report released by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
Based on its 6 a.m. situation report on November 3, the NDRRMC said a total of 22 dead, 432 injured and two missing persons were reported in Regions X, XI, XII, and BARMM.
The report said three were killed in Davao del Sur due to the magnitude 6.6 earthquake. In Region XII, nine were killed during the 6.6 earthquake while 10 died during the magnitude 6.5 earthquake. Cotabato reported the most fatality at 16.
The 432 people injured were from Lanao del Norte, Bukidnon, Davalo del Sur, Davao City, Davao del Norte, Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sarangani, Sultan Kudarat, and Maguindanao. Two persons are still missing in Davao del Sur.
A total of 28,952 infrastructures were reported damaged due to the two earthquakes. Some 20,957 houses, 26 schools, 7 health facilities, 5 house of worships, 8 private / commercial establishments, and 26 other public structures were totally damaged, according to the NDRRMC.
As of October 31, 13 out of 18 local government units in Cotabato Province and 2 in Sultan Kudarat experienced power outage.
On October 29, at around 9:04 AM, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) recorded the second strong earthquake of magnitude 6.6 that shook the province of North Cotabato, with the epicentre located 25 kilometers southeast of the municipality of Tulunan, North Cotabato.
Two days after, another strong earthquake of magnitude 6.5 again rocked central and eastern Mindanao, with the epicentre still in Tulunan.
The two earthquakes and the previously recorded earthquake on October 16 of magnitude 6.3 with the same epicenter in Tulunan, are considered part of a sequence of events from interrelated faults in the region. – BusinessNewsAsia.com